DISR people first
about the team
The Industry Growth Division is responsible for policy and regulatory functions, working strategically to encourage industry capability, competitiveness and innovation efforts. The division delivers a range of policies and programs focusing on supporting Australian industry to be sustainable, resilient and to grow to their full potential.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Building Sector team. The team is responsible for building policy issues, the Building Ministers Meeting, and reviewing the Disability (Access to Premises – Building) Standards 2010. The team works closely with the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB), state and territory governments and industry bodies on regulatory matters and emerging issues in the building sector.
our ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate brings a can-do attitude to work. They are enthusiastic about learning and applying their skills to achieve goals, making them a motivated and trusted member of the Building Sector team. We welcome candidates who wish to develop their stakeholder engagement and analytical skills and are interested in understanding and expertise in Australian building sector policy and regulatory issues.
our ideal candidates would have:
- the ability to problem-solve and adapt to changes in work priorities
- well-developed communication skills (both written and verbal)
- the ability to show initiative, to put forward ideas, and identify opportunities to improve and/or streamline work practices
- good time management skills
- the ability to work cooperatively as part of a team and work independently, as required.
We are looking for candidates with transferrable skills. While prior work experience or qualifications related to the building sector are well regarded, they are not required to be successful in this role.
what you will do
You will gain experience working across a range of policy and regulatory issues affecting the Australian building industry in a high-performing, inclusive and diverse team.
specific duties may include:
- providing specialist and administrative support to the work area
- undertaking some research work and analysis
- building relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens. The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under Section 33 of the Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Directions 2022. This vacancy is open only to people with disability.
Successful applicants are required to provide evidence to confirm they are a person with disability. Evidence of disability is not to include information about the type of disability. Suitable evidence of a disability would be a certificate or letter from a registered medical practitioner.
the following documents would also be acceptable:
- letter from a Disability Employment Service or jobactive provider
- letter from a secondary or tertiary institution disability services unit in relation to a recent student.
If the above documents are not available, a statutory declaration from the applicant can be accepted.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be provided with information regarding obtaining and maintaining a clearance at this level.
accessibility and reasonable adjustments
The department is committed to ensuring our facilities, systems, and work practices are accessible. Anyone with a permanent or temporary disability, injury or illness can request reasonable adjustments at all stages of their employment.
- This process may be used to fill both ongoing (permanent) and non-ongoing (temporary) roles.
- A merit pool may be established to fill future vacancies.
- The department supports flexible working arrangements and staff can apply to work a mix of hours from home and office locations each week.
how to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information in your resume or other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
When applying for this role, you will be asked to complete an online application form and upload your current resume. Your application will be reviewed, and if you are longlisted, you will be asked to participate in an interview on the Modern Hire interview platform.
This will then be reviewed, and if you are shortlisted, we will invite you to attend an interview.
We want to ensure you have everything you need to apply for this position. Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or
- 1800 648 942 if you require assistance with your application.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Joshua Leach via:
- joshua.Leach@industry.gov.au or
- call 02 6213 6084.
learn more about the department
The department offers a flexible, diverse, and collaborative workplace. We value everyone bringing their different backgrounds and points of view to work every day. We can give you a challenging and rewarding career with the opportunity to contribute to policy that affects all Australians – and the world. You can find out more about us and the work we do at industry.gov.au.
From study support to generous parental leave and flexible work arrangements, your manager will work with you to help you along your career journey and achieve work-life balance.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic selves to work every day. We encourage applications people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people.
- Please contact our Inclusion team at email@example.com for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
- Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
Advertised: 20 July 2022
Applications close: 17 August 2022
learn more about
the position description