If you read any material on successful organisations and leaders, central to this is the ability to build effective teams — and at the heart of this is trust.
Trust is the most important element in building a winning team. Whether you're talking sports, business, organisations or anything else competitive it comes down to creating synergy and trust at all levels of the team.
Top 7 Tips for Creating High-Trust Leadership
- Make trust important. Demonstrate that trust is important and valued, that reward comes from generating trust and consequences exist for betraying it. Walk the talk.
- Trust yourself. Make commitments, keep learning and develop a reputation for delivering. When you trust yourself, you project confidence and the trust of others will follow.
- Extend trust to others. Model trust. Champion and extend trust to others to demonstrate the power of win/win relationships.
- Build credibility. Credibility is the cornerstone of trust. Build your own credibility and promote the credibility of others. This is the realm of the inspirational leader.
- Focus on results. Keep your eye on the prize. Where possible, give employees the flexibility to deliver results without over-emphasising the process.
- Keep an open mind. No-one has a crystal ball. Know and own the strategic vision, but keep plans fluid so you can adapt to market conditions and opportunities.
- Start today. Trust is a deep function of integrity. It takes time and consistency to transform an organisation, but demonstrating trust immediately creates small wins.