DISR people first
about the team
The Department of Industry, Science and Resources (DISR) leads the national agenda on industry, science and resources through compelling analysis, insights and advice. The department has a wide range of programs which means that the Analysis and Insights Division’s work is diverse and exciting.
Under the guidance of the Chief Economist, our division aims to empower the department and its Ministers to drive growth and job creation for all Australians. The Analysis and Insights Division provides opportunities to work on various topics involving in-depth analysis and exposure to high-level policy-making.
our ideal candidate
We are looking for someone with a strong capability to understand, work with and analyse data and the ability to communicate information in an accessible, engaging and informative way.
- be an inquisitive, analytical thinker who works well as part of a team
- have well-developed written and verbal communication skills and be able to communicate complex data and analytical concepts to a range of audiences
- have strong interpersonal and stakeholder management skills,
- possess strong organisational skills, resilience and the ability to balance short and long-term priorities,
- enjoy continuous improvement and learning
- have qualifications and or significant experience in economics, data analysis or policy modelling.
- experience undertaking unit record analysis using Python, SAS, R, Stata, or other software would be advantageous.
what you will do
Your work will analyse DISR’s policy and programs to evaluate their performance. You would also analyse new policy options. These analyses may often require working with unit record data. Policy topics you would become involved in will span all of DISR’s policy and program areas across the industry, science and resources portfolio.
in this role, you will:
- work as part of a small team to provide timely and accurate analysis, research and advice on a range of policy issues to meet stakeholder needs
- undertake data analysis using existing databases to support the team’s work
- research new and emerging policy areas, including seeking data sources, building simple models, undertaking analysis and communicating results
- developing and maintaining networks and working collaboratively across the division and the broader department.
To be eligible for employment in the APS and the department, applicants must be Australian Citizens. The filling of this vacancy is intended to constitute an affirmative measure under Section 33 of the Australian Public Service Commissioner’s Directions 2022. This vacancy is open only to people with disability.
Successful applicants must provide evidence to confirm they are a person with disability. Evidence of disability is not included information about the type of disability. Suitable evidence of a disability would be a certificate or letter from a registered medical practitioner.
the following documents would also be acceptable:
- letter from a Disability Employment Service or jobactive provider
- letter from a secondary or tertiary institution disability services unit to a recent student.
If the above documents are not available, a statutory declaration from the applicant can be accepted.
This position requires a Baseline security clearance. The successful applicant will be provided with information regarding obtaining and maintaining a clearance at this level.
accessibility and reasonable adjustments
The department is committed to ensuring our facilities, systems, and work practices are accessible. Anyone with a permanent or temporary disability, injury or illness can request reasonable adjustments at all stages of their employment.
- This process may be used to fill both ongoing (permanent) and non-ongoing (temporary) roles.
- A merit pool may be established to fill future vacancies.
- The department supports flexible working arrangements, and staff can apply to work a mix of hours from home and office locations each week.
how to apply
Your application must not contain any classified or sensitive information in your resume or other documents. Applications containing classified information may not be considered by the selection panel.
When applying for this role, you will be asked to complete an online application form and upload your current resume. Your application will be reviewed, and if you are longlisted, you will be asked to participate in an interview on the Modern Hire interview platform.
This will then be reviewed, and if you are shortlisted, we will invite you to attend an interview.
We want to ensure you have everything you need to apply for this position. Accessible application documentation is available in other formats on request.
- Please contact email@example.com or
- 1800 648 942 if you require assistance with your application.
For more information regarding this opportunity, please contact Andrew Watterson via:
- Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org or
- call 02 6213 6004.
learn more about the department
The department offers a flexible, diverse, and collaborative workplace. We value everyone bringing their different backgrounds and points of view to work every day. We can give you a challenging and rewarding career with the opportunity to contribute to the policy that affects all Australians – and the world. You can find out more about us and our work at industry.gov.au.
From study support to generous parental leave and flexible work arrangements, your manager will work with you to help you along your career journey and achieve a work-life balance.
The department is committed to a workplace culture that is respectful, inclusive, and diverse, where all employees have a sense of belonging and can bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We encourage applications to people who identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander, people with disability, culturally and linguistically diverse people and people of the LGBTIQA+ community, including transgender, gender diverse, and intersex people.
- Please contact our Inclusion team at email@example.com for a confidential discussion if you identify from any of these diverse backgrounds and would like to discuss this in more detail.
- Please refer to our Applying for a position information for additional information on how to apply.
Advertised: 20 July 2022
Applications close: 17 August 2022
learn more about
the position description